This division supports companies in the industry with control of the production chain, from raw materials to finished products. It provides complete assistance for tests, applied technological research, chemical and physical characterization of ceramic products (tiles, crockery, sanitary ware, bricks, refractory materials) and various construction materials (stone, adhesives, aggregates, cements, mortars). It is a qualified partner for technical-analytical assistance aimed at achieving environmental brands and certifications (CE Marking, Ecolabel, UPEC, CCC, LEED, and ICEA). Consultations and technical appraisals are written by external collaborators registered with the Registry of Qualified and Expert Technicians of the Province of Modena for CAT XIII-BUILDING CONSTRUCTION.Itg provides technical support for obtaining CE marking for cements, adhesives, plasters and mortars in general.
ON CERAMIC TILES
ON CERAMIC TILES
All the tests required can be carried out both on glazed and unglazed tiles by the following standards:
- UNI EN ISO 10545, such as dimensional control, water absorption, Determination of lead and cadmium given off; some tests contained in this series of standards are necessary for the affixing of the CE mark
- UNI EN, such as the Mohs hardness test
- CAHIER du CSTB for UPEC classification, such as resistance to roulage, choc lourd, Mazaud test
- ASTM, ANSI, such as slipperiness (BOT 3000), water absorption, breaking strength
- DIN, such as slipperiness, Tests for colour fastness
- SASO, for export to Saudi Arabia
- BS, such as impact resistance, slipperiness through the pendulum test
RESISTANCE TO DYNAMIC LOADS
We can perform dynamic load testing to simulate the stresses to which a floor is subjected during daily use.
This test, called the Robinson Test, refers to ASTM C627
VOLATILE ORGANIC COMPOUNDS (VOC) ISO 16000 SERIES
We can determine the emission levels of volatile organic compounds according to the ISO 16000 series on indoor ceramic tiles (floor or wall tiles) and related adhesives and mortars.
ADHESIVES FOR TILES AND WATERPROOFING SHEATHS
The tests required by UNI EN 12004, such as tensile strength and transversal deformation, and UNI EN 14891, such as impermeability and crack bridging, can be carried out.
TESTING OF AGGREGATES – MORTARS, CEMENTS, CONCRETE
The tests envisaged by the UNI EN standards, such as those for density, and the content of sulphates and chlorides can be performed.
TESTS ON STONE MATERIALS
The tests envisaged by the UNI EN standards, such as slip resistance, compressive strength, frost resistance, and petrographic analysis can be performed.
Tests performed include:
- Exposure to UV rays
- Humidostatic Chamber and Salt Spray Chamber
- Weather-ometer (Accelerated light and bad weather tests)
These machines are able to simulate exposure to bad weather, sun rays and moist, including salty, environments of various types of materials, such as: ventilated wall slabs (also equipped with reinforcement solutions), mosaics on mesh and on polymers , glazed and decorated glass, third firing decorations, floating floors, stone agglomerates, surfaces with resin finishes and/or other protective films, composite and sandwich materials, with elements such as glass, polymers, glass fibres, metals and resins.
INSTRUMENTAL CHEMISTRY ANALYSES OF RAW MATERIALS
The raw ceramic material is dried, ground, calcined and fused to perform quantitative and/or qualitative chemical analysis with X-ray fluorescence, or it is solubilized for anlysis by Plasma ICP. Determinations include:
- Oxides of Si, Al, Fe, Ti, Ca, Mg, Na, K, Zn, Ba, Pb, B, Zr, Li, and others on request
- amount of fluorine
- semi-quantitative chemical analysis with QuantAs
- Qualitative mineralogical analysis
- Mineralogical analysis with semiquantitative interpretation
- Rietveld quantitative mineralogical analysis
These analyses are performed with electronic instruments that offer extensive ability to apply different thermal gradients and temperatures. Possible preparation and firing of the specimen:
- Differential thermal analysis (DTA)
- Thermogravimetric analysis (TGA) and derivative thermogravimetry (DTG)
- Dilatometric analysis of raw, heating + cooling
- Dilatometric analysis of the terracotta and evaluation of the coefficients of linear expansion
- Melting through a heating microscope with image analysis (frits, glazes, masses, raw materials)
- Fusibilità tramite microscopio riscaldante con analisi di immagine (fritte, smalti, impasti, materie prime)
- Gradient firing and relative vitrification curve (shrinkage-absorption)
- Optical flexometer
RAW AND SEMI-FINISHEDMATERIALS
- Determination of total Carbon and Sulfur by instrumental analysis
- Calcimetry (Dietrich-Fruhling method)
- Determination of total soluble salts (R.D. and B.S. 1257)
- Determination of the specific surface
- Determination of Chlorine and Fluorine with ionic chromatography
- Cumulative and spectrometric radioactivity determination (Chinese mark CCC)
- Electron microscopy
- Laser Granulometry